Saturday, April 29, 2023

"We interrupt . . ."

 "...this blog -- the Africa series -- for the following important message" (that I've also posted on Facebook -- yes, it's that "important").

To all my KU and UDK fans in the Lawrence-KC area, please read: need help!

As many of you might know, I was the first (I am led to believe) to purchase (by making a donation) one of the UDK’s stand-long, big-ass (6’x4’x2.5’ and weighing in at =/-200 pounds) distribution boxes scattered across campus. I did it the moment I heard they were being taken down in great part because (a) I designed them and (b) I had ‘em built and installed. Ours now sits in great friends Tom and Gail’s Sloan’s barn just west of Lawrence (not far from the KU tennis facility and the city’s great rec center (that we miss a lot).

Joyce and I had intended to get it to Clovis, CA, where we are living in splendid retirement, put it in the front yard along the sidewalk (“The FRONT yard?” Joyce screamed – yes, she does scream on rare occasions. “Yes,” I said, calmly, “to turn it into one of those ‘Free Library’ things – whereby I fill it with books – and folks take a book and (by request, but not required) leave a book. Our friends in Rock Hill (our best man/matron of honor – Terry and Betty Plumb – of almost 52 years ago) have one. It’s great. And I do need to get right of books. Our small home is filled with ‘em.


But, alas, getting it here, we have found, is virtually impossible without spending a butt-load of cash (and more than you think, really!) that we’d rather spend on food, utilities and booze! Oh, and travel and grandkids (including college funds). And, well, you know.

OK, anyone want it – for free (but only if you put it to some good use)?

Free! If close to Lawrence, I might even be able to talk Tom and Gail to get it to you! (Uh, that’s a maybe since I haven’t asked ‘em, they are really, really nice.) Or you can pick it up . . . and play with the sheep (they run a sheep farm). Bring the kids!

So, whattaya say? Any takers? (“PLEASE!!”)

Oh, the photo is of Tom and Gail’s daughter, Lynette, and her great son, Curtis, (who’s dad and Lynette’s husband, Bart, is on the Lawrence City Commission).

Oh, did I say “PLEEEEEEESE!????

Rock Chalk, Jayhawk and the UDK!


No comments:

Post a Comment