Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Beer, and going 'round the world


I need a beer, so I’m keeping my promise by posting.


OK, we’re planning to head back to Africa in mid-June (and I’ll give a lot more details in upcoming blogs, but I really do want that beer, and the “blog muse” just isn’t kicking in). As part of it, we’re circling the entire globe!

As to Uganda, my former driver, Kabagambe Swamadu, known simply as Kabs (pronounced like the Chicago baseball team [and, no, not the White Sox]) has invited us back because . . .

He was more than a driver. He kept me safe. And we became really close friends with him and his entire family, both in Kampala and upcountry.

He, not surprisingly, has become quite successful, working with what I believe is an agriculture NGO doing good deeds for his village and surrounding area. Plus, he’s planning to run for Parliament, and by all accounts has a good chance of winning.

He’s a first-rate human being.

We love him, and he loves us.

So, Kabs invited us to see what he’s doing in upcountry Uganda, and we couldn’t say no.


We’re excited because of that, and we'll see lots of other people who were important to us, but also because this trip will take us around the world.

After Kampala, I’m keeping 47-year-old promise to my lovely bride: Taking her Cape Town, South Africa.

Right after we decided to get married, good friend Bob Menaker asked if I’d like to go to Africa with him. “There’s a freighter leaving Booklyn for Cape Town, and we should be on it.” So, Joyce says “go,” knowing that I wanted to – go, as well as marry her. So, I went. Six months later, after touring southern and east Africa, and then spending time picking apples on a kibbutz on the Golan Heights in Israel, I came home and we married. Still are, gleefully!

And still doing Africa, and now “around the world.”

The flight from Cape Town, you see, routes us through Hong Kong on the way back to L.A. So, we said, why not spend some time seeing old friends in China – specifically Li Hong Hai in Shenzhen (just outside Hong Kong), Li Rong and family in Guangzhou, and Li Shuo in Beijing. The three “Li’s” were each selected by me to come to KU (and stay with us in our home) as part of the grant promoting journalistic relationships between the U.S. and east Asia. We obviously became close to them during their stays in Kansas (having coffee most mornings in your pajamas will do that), as well as visits we’ve made years ago to visit them in China.

So, ‘round the world it is with flights from L.A. to someplace in Europe or the Middle East for the plane to Kampala, then the flight to Cape Town, then that Cape Town-Hong Kong-L.A. jaunt. So, ‘round the world in is over 30 days or so. Cool.

Next: Either about reconnecting with David Sendler, former editor of TV Guide and my editor at my first full-time journalism gig, The STRAC Paraglide at Ft. Bragg, N.C., whom we had dinner with recently in Florida, or more about Kabs. Or whatever, depending on my thoughts and how much I need a good beer. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment