Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Lovin' -- and hating -- the 'blues'

I love jazz, and I love the blues. Right now, I've got the blues, but it ain't the kind that are fun.

I've been in this blue mood the past few days.

One, it's because that I'm having to miss Gabriella Souza's wedding. I am supposed to be there -- feel I should be there -- this weekend to fulfill a promise I made quite a bit ago: to officiate at her wedding. And anyone who knows me knows this: I try to make those weddings special, and I only do it for those who are special.

I wrote the wedding, but I've had to pass it along to another to recite it, dammit. And it hurts, because Gaby (and John David because he loves her so much) are truly important to me. Not being there is poking a little hole in my heart that will take time to heal.

There's more.

My Mom is at a wonderful place -- Sunshine Christian Homes in Holiday, Florida -- but I feel that I should be closer to take care of things when things need to be taken care of. When she lived near us (and when my dad was alive and living near, too), I saw her (them) virtually every day, and Mom was always bright and happy while we were there. And our visits were not just for a few minutes or so, but usually a couple of hours at a time.

No more. Because we're in Africa, we had to move her to another facility, that one in Florida. I was thinking, that just once in my life and his, my brother would step up and take responsibility, as he had promised he would. Now, I find that, as usual and as I should have expected, he has not to the extent that I expected. Apparently, he rarely sees her, and then to sign papers or such. No quality time, though we hear that Mom gets upset when he comes and that she is happy and engaging at other times. So, perhaps, it's best.

Now, in my own defense, we would have had to move her someplace because she couldn't afford where she was, she needed more help than we could provide, and there was virtually nothing in our area of Kansas that could provide that kind of care at what we could afford.

Still...

And I've got the blues not just because of all this, but because I feel guilty. I keep thinking I'm being selfish, and I can't seem to shake it.

I am in Africa right now for one reason: It's something I've always wanted.

Yea, I am here because I was asked, I am here because I've always loved Africa, I am here because I love journalism, and I am here because I care about changing journalism at the Daily Monitor -- and for all of Uganda, if possible. I am sincere in that.

But we're also here only because I want to be here. And that seems selfish.

Joyce is here and puts on a good face about loving it here, too, and bless her for that. But she's here because I'm here, because I want to be here. Not because she wants to be here.

And we're 8,000-plus miles away.

Eight-thousand miles away from Gaby, 8,000 miles away from our kids, 8,000 miles away from our friends, and 8,000 miles away from my Mom.

Seems selfish to me.

But we shall survive, and we will stay to complete what I've set out to complete.

And we will find a way to enjoy it, to make the most of it, but we'll have to keep fighting through the blues to do it.


4 comments:

  1. Being far from loved ones is never easy. This is one major thing that rarely gets discussed in the career sessions where they tell you to go for your dream jobs. That said, the best way I've found to deal with not being there for people and events is to connect with the community where I am at the moment. There are people in need of your love, compassion, attention, humor, care and sympathetic ear no matter where you live. If we each try to strengthen the communities and ties where we are, and do our best, we can only hope that others are doing the same in the next town and next country and next continent while we're away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well-said, and thanks...we're doing that...and I know as time passes, it will get better. It's all exacerbated by the challenges faced here. Cheers.

      Delete
  2. That's a tough spot, neighbor. You're certainly missed here. Oh, and we're staying in our house, so we really are still your neighbors. :) Hang in there, big guy. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep trying to comment on this on my phone and it just doesn't work. I know I'm a measly 26 years old, but the way I look at it, you can't be totally happy if you're 100% thinking of other people. You have to sometimes do what you want, and this is what you're doing. So have fun! Enjoy everything, continue to write and know we're all happy for you and excited to see you when you get home :)

    ReplyDelete