Thursday, July 22, 2010

No problem? Big problem.

OK, just put it down as an "old guy's" rant or, more accurately, lament. And, yes, I know it's a "generational thing." But for someone who cares about words and what they mean, I’ve got a big problem with “no problem.”

When someone says "Thank you," the appropriate response is "You're welcome."

Not today.

Someone opens the door for the old guy. “Thank you,” I say. “No problem,” the response.

A store clerk hands back the receipt after I fork over hard-earned cash. “Thank you,” I say. “No problem,” the response.

At a restaurant, the server brings the meal. "Thank you,” I say. "No problem," the response.

What's the problem? The problem is what the words mean and the messages they transmit.

"You're welcome" says "I'm happy to have served you."

"No problem" says "You didn't inconvenience me."

Wait! You're serving ME, and you tell me that I didn't inconvenience YOU!
And you expect a tip.

Now you've got a problem.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Malcolm!
    I will remember this... Good thoughts! You can check out my blog over at http://haleybjones.com.
    Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Malcolm! I ran across your blog linked from Brenna's, I believe. Just wanted to drop a note to say I have thought of this blog post nearly every day for the two weeks since I read it. I find myself making a conscious effort to tell customers "You're welcome," rather than my typical "No problem." All other things aside, it simply sounds more polite and I think I sound more professional saying it. Thanks for the scolding! :)

    Tara

    ReplyDelete